Brandon Busby's Movie Buzz

Thanks for visiting my blog. I have always enjoyed movies and have over 300 in my collection and add to it often. I will share my movie reviews and critiques on this site and will also talk about movie news.

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Shutter Island


Shutter Island
Director: Martin Scorsese
Cast: Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Ruffalo, Ben Kingsley, Michelle Williams, and Max von Sydow
Runtime: 137 minutes
Rating: R

*Note* - This will be a fairly vague movie review, so as to not give away any details about the story and ending.
Shutter Island is directed by Martin Scorsese and stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Ruffalo, and Ben Kingsley. Scorsese is at the top of his game working from a screenplay adapted from Dennis Lehane's book of the same name. Lehane is the author of a couple of other books that have been adapted into movies, such as Mystic River and Gone Baby Gone. While I haven’t read any of Lehane’s books, I have seen all the adaptations and this is by far my favorite.
As Shutter Island begins it is 1954 and U.S. Marshalls Teddy Daniels (Leonardo DiCaprio) and his partner Chuck Aule (Mark Ruffalo) are aboard a ferry to Shutter Island, home to Ashecliffe, a prison for the criminally insane. They have been sent there to investigate the disappearance of one of the inmates. Upon beginning their investigation Teddy starts to suspect that things aren’t as cut and dry as he originally thought. Dr. John Crawley (Ben Kingsley) is in charge of the inmates (or patients as he prefers to call them) of the institution and seems to have genuine compassion and concern for those he is in care of. However, it is the uncooperative staff that gives rise to Teddy’s suspicions that there is more than meets the eye to Ashecliffe.
I was very excited to finally go see Shutter Island last week. I have been waiting months to see this movie since it’s originally scheduled release date in October was changed to February. Usually that is a bad sign when a release date is changed to January-March, a time traditionally known as a dumping ground for movies that the studios don’t have too much faith in. However, this movie is the exception.
I was completely engrossed in the movie from the time my cheeks hit the seat until the credits rolled. The movie is gripping and suspenseful. Directed by a master that is only getting better with age. The acting across the board is solid, with excellent performances from Leonardo DiCaprio and Ben Kingsley. Just when you think that you have figured out the story and that you know exactly what’s going on, you are presented with something that completely changes your perspective. I dare you to find a rollercoaster at Six Flags that has more twists and turns than this movie. My advice is to go into this movie prepared to have your mind taken on a ride, so just sit back and enjoy.
I still find myself sitting around thinking about the different twists and turns that had my head spinning for much of the movies running time. Not only do I recommend that you go see this movie, but I am going back to see it again the next chance I get...and when it comes out on blu-ray, I’m buying it.


The Buzz on Shutter Island is 4 ½ stars out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment